Friday, March 14, 2014

Peanut Butter Bars

The beginning of my pregnancy I basically swore off anything sweet. I couldn't handle anything remotely delicious. I would occasionally crave chocolate shakes, but even then could hardly handle more than a couple of swallows. And if you know me, that's bizarre. I love LOVE sweets - especially baked goods. Around the middle of the second trimester I finally was able to handle them again (more than a little nibble of something) and by the time the third trimester started I was back to my sweet loving self.

That being said, the last few weeks I have been nesting. 
And apparently nesting to me means baking ALL THE TIME. 

And so I wanted to share with you one of my very favorite recipes, shared by my friend Mandy Anderson a couple of years ago on her blog. (Mandy and her husband Adam were in mine and Kyle's married student ward in Provo).

And that recipe? Peanut butters bars, just like you remember from elementary school (probably better). I've made these twice in the last few weeks and Kyle and I gobble them up rather quickly. They make a lot, and we always plan to give some away... But it's hard giving away something so divine. It does take a few steps to make, but still is a relatively simple recipe, and so worth it!
So here you go:

Peanut Butter Bars

Ingredients: 

Peanut butter cookie crust: 
1 1/2 c. Flour
1¼ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Baking Soda
¾ c. Butter
¾ c. Sugar 
¾ c. Brown Sugar 
1 ½ tsp. Vanilla
3/4 c. Creamy Peanut Butter 
2 Eggs
1 ½ C Quick Oats

Peanut butter spread: 
3/4 c. Peanut Butter 

Frosting:
½ c. Butter (1 stick)
5-ish c. Powdered Sugar
2 Tbsp Cocoa
¼ c. Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In mixing bowl (or bowl of a stand mixer) whip together sugars and butter until light and creamy. Add vanilla, peanut butter and eggs, then mix until fully incorporated. Slowly add dry ingredients until little white is left. Add oats and mix gently.

Grease an 11x15 cookie sheet (I have no idea what size cookie sheet I use - it's just the biggest one I have - similar to one you would use to make a Texas sheet cake) and spread dough across pan. You might even use your fingers. 
Bake for 12-15 minutes - until lightly browned. 
You don't want to over bake it, for sure.
 Let the cookie cool 10 minutes. While it's cooling whip 3/4 cup peanut butter until it's light in color and looks fluffy. Spread it over the surface of the cookie.

In a sauce pan melt together butter, milk and cocoa powder until it just starts to bubble around the edges. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour into a mixing bowl and gradually add powdered sugar until it's to the consistency you desire. 

Spread on bars and then enjoy!

No comments: