Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Katrina

My beautiful cousin, Katrina Galbraith Lawrence, is now gone from this life.

I am still in shock that she is gone.

She had spent the last month or so on bed rest in the hospital, due to complications of placenta previa and accreta during her sixth pregnancy. Yesterday was the day they had planned to deliver the baby via c-section, and then take Katrina straight into surgery to do a hysterectomy and monitor what other actions needed to be taken, depending on how invasive the placenta had become. They delivered the baby, who was 34 1/2 weeks along, and took her into surgery. I don't know all the the details, but from what I understand, her heart gave out. They were able to restart it at least once during the surgical process, and she fought hard, but in the end, it was her time to go.

She leaves behind a beautiful family - her husband Justus, and their six children, Kai, Te, Maya, Dax, Koa, and baby Jet.
She also leaves behind a beautiful legacy. One of love, faith, sincerity, kindness. Katrina could light up a room by walking in. She was friendly and kind and beautiful. You can go to her facebook page, and see just how many people she touched in her 36 short years. Her smile was infectious. She was the kind of person that leaves their mark on your heart, just by being around her.

Katrina always made me feel welcome. She always made me feel loved and important. She made our beautiful wedding announcements, as her gift to us.

Baby Jet is doing fine. He was born, like I said, at 34 1/2 weeks, and was just shy of 5 pounds. He is in the NICU and is getting help with his breathing.

My heart breaks for Justus and their little family, especially little Jet who will never know his mother in this life. She truly gave the ultimate sacrifice - she gave her life for her little one to be brought into this life. I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to be related to this beautiful woman, as she was truly beautiful inside and out. I am grateful for the knowledge I have that families are forever. I know that right now Katrina is having a most joyous reunion with her two grandmother's and that she will be watching over all of us.



1 comment:

Nate said...

So sorry to hear about this. She sounds like an amazing woman. If you decide to come down to the funeral we'd be happy to have you stay with us.