Thursday, May 2, 2013

Child Sexual Abuse

As you all know (ok you probably didn't) child abuse prevention month just ended. Today, however there is a fundraiser called Idaho gives that non-profits can participate in and each donation will be matched along with each donation serving as an entry to win a lot of money. Since I'm an intern at a child advocacy center you should find out more about us and donate (Seriously ten bucks will go a long ways).

Bright Tomorrows Idaho Gives

Did you know that 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys will be sexually abused by the time they turn 18? Did you know that there are an estimated 39,000,000 survivors of child sexual abuse in our country?

Recently Bright Tomorrows paid for me to become a facilitator of a child sexual abuse prevention program called Stewards of Children: Darkness to Light. If you would like to learn what you can do to protect your kids and help other children please go to their website to learn more. Stewards of Children  Or you can invite me to come do a training for your organization. I'll do it for free, it just costs $10 for the workbook.

I'm grateful that I've been able to be an intern at Bright Tomorrows. It has been an awesome experience and they are a great group of people. Being a counselor for kids who have been sexually abused is really hard work (trust me you hear some really messed up things) and I don't plan on doing it for the rest of my life, but I will always be an advocate for protecting our kids!!!

No comments: