Monday, July 18, 2011

MY HP STORY

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was released in the US in 1998. I first heard of Harry Potter in fifth grade, in 1999 or 2000. I was ten, turning eleven, Harry's same age. My fifth grade teacher read it aloud to us. 
I was hooked from page one.
I went home to my mom and we bought the first book together. My mom loved the books, as she is from England and found the British humor appealing. My dad got in on the HP action, and was always the one to pre-order the books for me. He also got me an HP Quidditch board game, and HP bookends. My mom and I would buy HP themed candy at Christmas (Bertie Botts, Chocolate Frogs, etc.). I don't remember necessarily counting down the days until the first few movies came out, but I do know I saw them semi-soon after and that I loved them. Kyle got me the set of #1-6 the Christmas we were engaged.

I wrote a fan fiction in junior high, all about Harry's younger sister, Allison Potter. (She was secretly raised by Dumbledore, no big.)

I literally grew up with Harry Potter. He was my age. We went through friend drama, school, teenage angst, etc. together. He was a best friend. A constant. Multiple times I have pictured Hogwarts being real, I have pictured myself there as a student, I have pictured myself receiving an acceptance letter of my own.

My love for Harry has grown throughout the years.
I feel lucky to have been able to be a part of the Harry Potter generation.

Not only have the books and movies been great entertainment, there is just so much to learn from the books.
I'm not a great writer, so I'm going to end with a link to a well written blog post from a blog I follow.
http://jakeanddanirugg.blogspot.com/2011/07/thank-you-harry-potter.html


Thanks, Jo.
And thanks, Harry.

Source: None via Britt on Pinteres

1 comment:

Rue Lynn said...

HP was a way for us to build a relationship while we are many miles apart. I could see you curled up and reading the books cover to cover. I looked forward to your "reports" on the latest book. Like your Mum, I enjoyed being transferred back to my school days in England. I am so happy we shared this experience together. It was so much fun to see your face and experience your joy and excitement as we walked HP Land together!

My favorite quote; (with a slight changes) is what I think when I think of you: "...love as powerful as your parents leaves its own mark...To be loved so deeply, even though the person who loves us is gone, will give you some protection forever.